Thursday, December 6, 2007

HW 24: I better have a room... I'm paying tuition!

This entire book to me has been flowery nonsense. Virginia Woolf insists that for women to really succeed in writing, they need to be catered to in a special way. I suppose what she is trying to say is that women have to juggle being a perfect housewife, and then a creative genius. And one cannot exist with the other simultaneously.
"I am talking of the common life which is the real life and not the separate lives which we live as individuals -and have five hundred a year each of us and rooms of our own; if we have the habit of freedom and the courage to write exactly what we think; if we escape a little from the common sitting room and see human beings not always in their relationships to each other but in relation to reality."(Woolf pg.113-114)
I agree with that statement to some extent. I personally really enjoy time to myself. I feel like I get the most meditating and contemplating done with that time. However, so say that women especially over men need this time because we are different, is making it even harder to really respect women as writers. We're all people. We all have our individual process. And, men have just as many distractions in day to day life that keep them from really exercising their creativity and talent to their full potential.
I understand where Woolf is coming from, and I do see the inequality that did and still does exist between the sexes. I just don't agree with her solution, I suppose.

No comments: