Thursday, December 6, 2007

HW 30: Scott Ritter

First of all, I left before the guy even started the question and answering portion. The first half hour the man spewed arrogance and self-righteous garbage. He opened with how he wanted it to be a dialogue; and exchange of ideas, because that's how things get accomplished. However, the man seemed ot like the sound of his own voice, more so than the potential for students to grow and learn form his experiences.
He was all about constitution, and assumed that no one in the building knew it as well as he did, or its importance.
"If you call yourselves citizens, the only legitimate hold is knowing this document".
Yeah, we know dude. The last ten years of schooling hammered that idea into our heads relentlessly.
Then he detailed the hierarchy and duties of citizens to soldiers.
"[Soldiers] defends citizens. Takes an oath to defend the constitution [from enemies] foreign and domestic".
Domestic enemies? Yes, they walk among us! As in violating the fourth amendment, "illegal search and seizure". I know this, and I know what the fourth amendment entails. However, since I am merely a college student, with no life experience, I couldn't possibly understand that. It's the next comment that pretty pushed me to split the scene:
"I'll give you a hint: open up the piece of paper and go to the fourth Amendment".
Already ahead of you, buddy!
He went on some tangent about wire-tapping and conspiracy theories, and that's when I ever so politely gave him a salute and marched out like a good citizen-soldier ought to.
Maybe I didn't give this guy enough of a chance, but I can't take someone's word seriously if they can't even fathom the idea of giving my intelligence some credit.

No comments: